QDPI Redlands Research Station, Cleveland
- A good lawn can add as much as 15% to the value of a house.
- A good fine textured lawn has at least 10,000 shoots and over 5,000,000 km of roots per square metre.
- Roots make up 90% of the weight of grass plants in the lawn.
- Turfgrass acts as a natural filter by reducing pollution by purifying the water as itpasses through the root zone.
- Turf is four times more effective than a hay field in controlling erosion.
- Sediment losses from turfed areas are 10 times less than from straw covered areas.
- Runoff from turfed areas will take at least 28 times longer than the most popular erosion control material.
- Turfgrass traps and removes dust and dirt from the air.
- 250 square metres of lawn can absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and release enough oxygen for a family of four.
- An average size lawn of a house has the cooling effect of about 9 tonnes of air conditioning.
- On a hot day, a grass lawn will be at least 15°C cooler than asphalt and 8°C cooler than bare soil.
- The lawn is also effective in reducing noise. In studies at the Riverbank Acoustical Laboratory in Illinois, turfgrass proved to be more sound absorbent than a heavy carpet or a felt pad.
© The State of Queensland, Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries 2008 (work reproduced with the kind permission of the Department of Primary Industry and Fisheries).
Except as permitted by the Copyright Act 1968, no part of the work may in any form or by any electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or any other means be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or be broadcast or transmitted without the prior written permission of DPI&F. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The copyright owner shall not be liable for technical or other errors or omissions contained herein. You accept all risks and responsibility for losses, damages, costs and other consequences resulting directly or indirectly from using this information.
All enquiries should be directed to
Intellectual Property Commercialisation Unit
(Phone +61 7 3225 1398, Email: email@example.com).